Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Pregnancy Body Peace Pact

If there is only one pure truth I have learned about pregnancy, it's that it causes an amazing lack of comfort with your body. I talk often about watching my body balloon, becoming rotund, and feeling heavy. And while I talk easily and jokingly about it, here's the undeniable fact: your body is not your body anymore. Your body is now a house for your child and will take on a complete mind of its own.

Don't get me wrong, there is definite joy in watching your belly grow with that sure sign of precious life. It's even comical when my mom tells me to quit stealing basketballs, and when no matter what I eat, it ends up down the front of my gigantic stomach. Jordan and I even get a laugh that I have to bend completely over to see my feet, or I have to ask him what my belly button looks like.

Sadly, the other side of joy, is despair. I can tell you, that at times, I have had that emotion about my new figure as well. It's strange not being able to see under my belly anymore, and to feel my belly button stretching to new dimensions. The worst, of course, is to see those new purple stretch marks creeping up my side. I have had the creepy inner monologues while looking in the mirror. I keep telling myself "who cares, my husband loves me, and this is all for a purpose." But at the same time, my mind is screaming in disgust at what I have become.

The funny thing is, pregnancy is a BEAUTIFUL thing, and we are all our harshest critics. I also know that I am not the only woman that faces this dilemma. So for myself and to all the other struggling moms out there, or even just those who are getting used to a new body, I recommend committing yourself to a new body peace pact.

A body peace pact sounds like one of those stupid things you read about in seventeen magazine, and honestly... it really is kind of silly, but funny enough IT WORKS. All there is to it, is to be able to look at yourself and see the positive over the negative, and feel confident in your own skin. I tell myself this;

You are amazing, and your body looks this way because it's creating a miracle, and someday your son will look at the pictures of what looks like his mother smuggling a basketball under her t-shirt, and cherish them. This transformation will bring a special someone into this world who will change your life, and your husbands forever.


Sweet and simple, but if said honestly and often, it makes me feel a little better, and well... less vain, because lets face it, there's more to life than looking like barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment